Tuesday, June 2, 2015

We Are [NOT] All Josh Duggar


I understand the theology behind the statement, We are all the Duggars. It's the theology that maintains the biblical truth that we all fall short of the glory of God. We are all sinners.

I agree wholeheartedly that we are all sinners...

...sinners saved by grace.

That means we are simultaneously sinner and saint. We are clothed in Christ's righteousness, yet still living in a fallen world. Because I am sinner and saint I still struggle with sin on this earth, but because of Jesus and his death I am free from not only the penalty of sin but the guilt associated with sin. I am not free from the presence of sin, but on that day I will be free of sin fully, finally, and forever. I am thankful my sin has no bearing on my relationship with God because of what Christ has done for me.

I also agree that the church has, for far too long, had an us and them mentality which says sin is outside not inside the church.


It is high time we confess to a watching world the truth that the definition of a Christian is saved by God's grace, not saved by our goodness.

Here's what's nagging at me.

While the statement that lumps all of us into one big mosh-pit of child molesters may sound true, I don't believe it is true.

I am not a child molester. It's not self-righteousness to say that, it's just the truth. I have never had thoughts of molesting children. I would argue that there are many others like me who have never thought of repeatedly sexually assaulting children.

Janet Mefferd made this clear when she said,

"We all struggle with various sins, but we struggle with different sins, and one size does not fit all."

Like Josh Duggar, are we all sinners? Yes.

Are we all child molesters? No.

One last thought. Focusing on theology in situations where abuse has taken place - physical, mental, sexual or spiritual, can have its place in the conversation. However, I have seen that all too often it becomes an academic exercise to explain abuse with doctrinal principles. While that can be helpful, it can lack compassion and miss the point. Theology can sometimes talk past people, and as a result, become void of compassion and love.

The real point is the abuse and its victims. 

They are the point now.

I don't think we can err too much on the side of victims when it comes to abuse. How far would we go to restore a heart and soul ravaged at the hands of another? 

The gospel reminds us that Jesus went to the depths of hell and back again for each precious one.




No comments:

Post a Comment