Saturday, March 28, 2015

I Was Wrong

Earlier this week I blasted out a tweet, and honestly, I had not given it much thought since then.

Until yesterday.

You may have seen it:












You may have agreed with it and even thought, yes, that's what I need. An intervention.

I wrote that in a moment of piled-up, mixed-up memories. If you've followed some of my #messy posts you know I've been struggling with faith. And, not just for a few weeks. It's been awhile. I've been honest about it because I know many of you struggle too. I've always wanted this to be a place of honesty and safety. You know, beggars showing other beggars where to get food. I've attempted to acknowledge the reality of my life in the light of the gospel. What I've found is the liberating truth that I can be a mess and be loved - simultaneously. Martin Luther referred to it as Simul Justus et Peccator. Simultaneously sinner and saint.

When I tweeted my need for an intervention I was recollecting events and relationships and brokenness that led me to where I am today. I silently lamented rough roads and sad situations. My mind was overwhelmed with a desire for it to be over. I need an intervention. I know Jesus knows me. But right now, I need him to intervene and prove it.

Fast forward to yesterday. As I was going about my day handling my typical Friday routine, I realized...

...I'd been wrong.

(btw, I'm not sharing this because I'm excited about admitting I'm wrong ;)

I'm sharing this with you because I think it's life-changing.

I think it's burden-lifting.

It's paradigm-shifting.

I believe it's life-giving.

It's cool water.

It's earth-shattering.

It holds the keys to the kingdom.

You may be thinking, Lori, c'mon. Don't be so dramatic.

What could possibly be so revolutionary? so reformational?

Ready?

Here it is.

I don't need an intervention because the truth, the amazing and astonishing good news is this -

I have an intervention.

Christ intervened on the cross - into my life and yours.

When Christ gave up his life for you and for me, it was not a sacrifice that needed to happen over and over and over again. It was not a sacrifice like in days past when every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices (Heb 10:11).

When I said I need an intervention I envisioned an event that would redeem my situation. That would make things different. That would seal my peace and grant me hope. That would give me assurance and take away fear. The truth is, that event happened.

Peace has come.

Redemption has come.

Everything is different now.

I have assurance.

Faith not fear is the name of this game.

Am I still doubtful? Yes.

Am I still struggling? Definitely.

But, I don't have to hope for interventions. I don't have to look for one every day or in the midst of a struggle.

It is here.

True rest.

Intervention is in my midst.

2 comments:

  1. That really is quite profound. I feel like I'm 'waiting' for God to come and sort everything out - to intervene in my messy situations etc. But, looking at everything from the perspective of the cross and the resurrection - well, the 'waiting' is over in a sense, "It is finished". Really glad you shared this, because I saw that tweet (I may have even 'liked' it) and it resonated with me then, and this follow-up will likely stay with me for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grateful for your thoughts here. I'm still rolling it over in my mind too. I think that a lot of our modern Christianity is based around the idea that we need to get something and acquire more...faith, joy, love, peace. That's why we feel like we have to fulfill all the religious requirements set forth by books, denominations and preachers. But the truth is we don't need more of anything because we have already been given everything.
      peace,
      Lori

      Delete