Monday, February 4, 2013

I'm Calling My Attorney!


How could she do that? Doesn't she know that suspending my son from the swim team in mid season eliminates any possibility of him going to the State Championships?

Surely, she must know it could ruin his opportunities for college recruitment. 

As I sat in my room my anger rose. I was clearly right and the phone calls to the newspaper and an attorney would help turn this nightmare around! No one was going to do this to my son.

With a plan in place I thought I would feel better. The problem was I felt sick. Fear and anxiety grabbed my heart. I was bubbling over with anger.

I had an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. As much as I tried to ignore it, it persisted. There was nothing to do now but wait for help and pray that the meeting at the school in three days would shine the light on the truth.

I was not prepared for happened next. I grabbed my bible and sat down to read. I asked the Lord for help. This is what he said:

Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God  Psalm 20:7

My child, why are you running around anxious and fearful when everything you need is already yours? Don’t you know I am good, I am with you, and I have this under control? You are exasperated and you are relying on the strength and power of people. What is their power or their wisdom or their love compared to mine?

God met me where I was and through his gentle and caring comfort he reminded me that all my hand wringing was unnecessary. He broke my heart with his love for me, while my tears of sorrow mixed with gratitude spilled onto the pages of scripture.

I shared this verse with my son that afternoon. I told him how God broke in and rescued me from all my attempts to control the situation. We prayed and waited. Three days later we went to the meeting and apologized to the athletic coaches and the principal for our headstrong response to the situation. We told them we trusted the Lord with whatever the outcome was, and then we sat silently – fully expecting them to uphold their decision. 

Chariots and horses never stood a chance against the grace of the Lord Jesus.

My heart was bent on self-preservation. I was relying on my own abilities. Thankfully, my strength and my power were no match for the infinite power held in Christs' nail pierced hands.

God's grace had wrecked me. God's grace intervened. God's grace did not wait for me to clean up my act and stop acting like a crazy woman. God came down, met me and changed my heart. 

No human strength or power can do what God does. God's grace alone has the power to change hearts.


p.s. The school made the decision to let my son back on the swim team...God had this thing the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment