Monday, December 31, 2012

P.S. To Real Life Friday! Love, Hope, Clarity

I blogged a new Real Life Friday! post last week and I pray that anyone who reads it would see Jesus and his sacrificial entry into the messiness of our lives. It is a story of personal struggle used as a vehicle to display God and his rescue mission in the midst of our need and desperation.

For those who read it (here), I thought I would add a post script for a few reasons.

The first reason is to communicate love -

My husband and I love each other very much and we are committed to our marriage like never before. So, it was important to me to have his blessing before writing anything related to our personal lives - specifically our marriage difficulties. Christ has set us both free form the need to pretend we're something we're not. I'm not sure we were fooling anyone anyway :)

The second reason is to communicate Hope -

Our messiness is never out of reach of God's grace. There is no distance we can travel away from God that His grace can't reach. My husband and I both have a relationship with God in Christ. That did not stop our pursuit of sin and disobedience. I was bent on selfishness and self-pity but thankfully God and his furious love for me out-distanced my sin.

This is tremendous good news for rebels! Everyday I am reminded that the grace of God in Christ is all I have and all I need.

The third reason is to Clarify -

We have not "arrived". Our marriage will continue to be messy because we are two sinful messed up people trying to figure it out together. When we have moments of victory we can thank God for his grace to intervene. Yes, God killed our old marriage and gave us newness together but that does not mean we don't still struggle. We look forward to the day when there will be no more tears and no more pain. Until that day we lean on Jesus and his righteousness.

Going through this difficulty has not made us experts, far from it. God has directed our path and for that we are grateful. Our story is about God's grace in the midst of our mess and that's where we continue to put our trust.

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.

~ Edward Mote

Finally, if you need prayer for your own marriage difficulties please let me know. You can comment anonymously if you'd like. God does not promise a quick fix or overnight solution, but He does promise to be with us in the midst. 

Blessings,


4 comments:

  1. I appreciated the first post and this one. To pretend we have it all together not only hurts us, because we don't see our need for Jesus, it hurts others because they think they need to have their act together. Your honesty encouraged me to keep my eyes on Jesus and not on the seemingly perfect lives of some of those around me. He came to save the sick, not the healthy. My life will not be as it should be until I'm with Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preach it Susan! Thanks for your encouragement! Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Discovered you through Tullian. Thank you for your honesty and vulnerability. Encouraged by your willingness to be transparent and admit your brokenness. It is very attractive. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to "meet" you Anonymous! Thank you for your prayers and grateful it was of encouragement to you!

      Delete