Friday, March 16, 2012

Celebrating Lent, Mourning Sin and Rejoicing In Our Rescue



Lent has always confused me a bit. 

I am never quite sure what to do.

There are so many traditions surrounding the keeping of Lent that it's hard to know the "appropriate" and god-honoring way to observe it.

I appreciate this reflection from Living Story. The author writes:




What I always rediscover is that this is a season to mourn — our own sin and what Christ sacrificed for us that we might be reconciled to God. It is a season to set aside something satisfying to remember that Jesus is the only one who can truly fill our desperate craving. Not because that makes us “righteous,” but because he made us righteous.

In anticipation of Easter, Lent is a time to remember first and foremost Jesus and his work on our behalf. It's a time to stop obsessing over my work for him - because let's just be honest, my work will never measure up! It is His work, His death, His resurrection, His blood - it's all Him. My best intentions during Lent will never earn me the right standing before God that I need. Listen to these words from the famous hymn My Hope Is Built:

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.

This is my anthem, trusting only in Jesus. As I contemplate Easter and this season of Lent I am reminded of my utter inability to bring any good thing to my Savior.

I see my inability to keep all the rules, traditions and commandments but I look upward and see the way out. Jesus bled and died for me.

He covered my sins with His blood and I am set free. I mourn my sin. I grieve the ways I rebel, disobey and give in to guilt and shame. But in that moment I remember my Savior. He paid for it all, He rose to conquer death and sin, and victorious He was! Hallelujah!



2 comments:

  1. Lori,
    I have a funny story about Lent. I did not grow up in church and did not meet Jesus til I was 21. I thought a Catholic person with the ashes on their head forgot to wash the dirt off their face. :) Talk about confused.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy - That's priceless! And I know you're not alone :) How many people have thought the very same thing! Blessings for a season focused on Jesus!

      Delete