Saturday, September 10, 2011

Remembering Who You [Really] Are

If you have seen the wildly entertaining and important film "The Help" or if you've read the book you probably remember this captivating interchange (watch scene) between Aibileen who plays the hired help (played by Viola Davis) and Mae Mobley who plays the familys little girl (played by Emma Henry). Precious Mae is sitting on Aibileens lap on a rocking chair in her bedroom, and Aibileen lovingly and sweetly says these words to Mae and then they recite them in unison:

Aibileen : You is kind. You is smart. You is important. 
Mae : You is smart. You is kind. You is important.
Aibileen:  Oh, that's so good.

It is a beautiful scene that is repeated throughout the movie.  The little girl is not well loved by her parents and Aibileen as the hired help raises this precious little girl and reminds her often of who she really is - kind, smart and important.  

This resonated deeply with me.  It reminded me of all the ways the world beats us down - telling us in a thousand different ways that we just don't measure up.  We're not pretty enough, tall enough, smart enough, successful enough or we're not spiritual enough.  The list goes on and on...

I think that my heart is drawn to this dialogue because I long to be told those things.  I crave the recognition that I am more than what I think of myself or what others think of me. I yearn for value and meaning and importance.  I wish for someone to look me in the eyes with a warm loving smile just like Aibileen did and say "Lori, you is important".




The precious truth is that Jesus has and continues to say these things to me.  He looks at me with his tender loving smile and says "see, I have loved you with an everlasting love, you are precious in my sight"!






Blaise Pascal wrote "Not only do we only know God through Jesus Christ, but we only know ourselves through Jesus Christ..."  The only person who can tell me the truth of who I am is Christ.  All other perspectives and opinions are untruths or half truths.  When the world tries to convince me I am less than what they think I should or could be, or when I believe I am not "measuring up" I can take comfort and refuge in the Truth.

In Christ I am perfect in God's sight, 
beloved of God, 
welcomed by God.

I am rehearsing this scene this morning:


Jesus: You is loved.  You is free.  You is mine.
Me: You is free.  You is loved.  You is mine.
Jesus:  Oh, that's so good.

2 comments:

  1. So true Lori, we make the mistake when we look to others for approval and get hurt when we don't receive it or when we are treated badly. I always remember that He knows every hair on my head! I was made in His image and that makes me very important!
    Love The Help too! Donna Harding

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious truths Donna! Although people will always let us down, God remains the same forever - always loving always gracious always good!

    ReplyDelete