Monday, June 13, 2011

Mr. Law died...

As hard as I tried, I couldn't be perfect. How about you? Has the treadmill of trying to be everything to everyone worn you out yet? It wore me out...day after day, the slave master of perfection beckoned me, come. "Don't you know there are others all around you who are perfect?" he would say. "Don't you see how their lives are perfectly ordered and balanced? Don't you admire their well behaved children and adoring spouse? If you just got it together, you could have that too. If you could just keep all the rules things would run a lot more smoothly."

As hopelessness gripped my heart and I despaired of ever "having it all together" I fell. I was crushed beneath the weight. It was too heavy. I couldn't carry it.
But, I was never meant too...

Enter grace.

"I know you're not perfect. I know you are worn out from trying harder. I know you don't have it all together. I know it's too heavy." ~ Jesus

Keeping the rules and obeying the law could never save me. But the irony is they are good. If I had never tried to keep the rules, I would never have been crushed. I would never have experienced grace in a bigger and brighter way. I delight these days to confess my imperfection. To admit I'm a mess and I don't have it all together. I don't have all the answers...I never really did. I am understanding more and more that Mr. Law died...Ray Ortlund explains:
Mr. Law died – fortunately. And we remarried, this time to Mr. Grace. Our new husband, Jesus, comes home every evening and the house is a mess, the children are being naughty, dinner is burning on the stove, and we have even had other men in the house during the day. Still, he sweeps us into his arms and says, “I love you, I chose you, I died for you, I will never leave you nor forsake you.” And our hearts melt. We don’t understand such love. We expect him to judge us, but he treats us so well.
Read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment