Friday, May 6, 2011

Soul Searching - What defines you?

No, I am not a movie critic, so I will steer clear of trying to give any legitimate review of a movie my husband and I saw recently - Soul Surfer. But as I sat in the theater watching this true story of a young woman who lost her arm in a shark attack, my soul was struck by a profound conversation her mom and dad had.

At a critical point in the story, this young woman's dad is struggling with the fact that his daughter may never surf again. His wife - with a great deal of perspective and clarity responds:



Tom Hamilton: Cheri, if she walks away from this, if she quits, she may never get back in the water again and she will never be the same again.
Cheri Hamilton: She will never be the same.
Cheri Hamilton: And if she thinks the only life for her out there is surfing and she can’t make that happen then she is going to be lost… really really lost.


I was so stunned to my core by that conversation, and days later I have not forgotten it. Why? What is it about this conversation that resonated with me, and if you are honest with yourself, resonates with you? I believe the statement made by this mom "And if she thinks the only life for her out there is surfing and she can’t make that happen then she is going to be lost… really really lost" gets to the very core of our being.

Why are we here?
What is our purpose?
What defines us?
What is our value?
Where do you and I find meaning?
Who determines all of this?


Big questions that demand big answers...

So I am asking myself this question: "What is that thing in my life that I believe defines me so much so that if I can't make it happen I would be really really lost?"

mmmm...I will be pondering that question in the days to come. How would you answer?

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were a writer! Great thoughts, Lori. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Luann! I'm not a real writer :) like you...it's just fun!

    ReplyDelete